Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 for Emerging Scholars
Deadline: October 3, 2022
Applications are open for the Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023. The Getty Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships are intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme, African American Art History Initiative, or Paul Revere Williams Research Project.
Recipients may be in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue research projects, complete their dissertations, or expand dissertations for publication. Fellows make use of the Getty collections, join in a weekly lecture devoted to an annual theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowships are for nine months from late September to late June and receive a stipend of $30,000.
- Getty Postdoctoral Fellowships are for nine months from late September to late June and receive a stipend of $35,000.
- Both fellowships may provide a workspace at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, a travel stipend, and healthcare options. These terms apply as of June 2022 and the terms and length of grants are subject to change. Health and safety guidelines for grantees may also be imposed.
- Applications for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships.
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowship applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the application deadline and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period. Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants who received their degree before September 1, 2019, should apply for a Getty Scholar Grant.
- Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Fellowship application form (which includes uploading a Project Proposal; Selected Bibliography; Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract; Curriculum Vitae; Writing Sample; and Confirmation letter by the deadline.
- Two letters of recommendation are also required for this application.
For more information, visit Getty Fellowships.