New York Community Trust Van Lier Fellowships 2023
Deadline: July 22, 2022
Applications for the New York Community Trust Van Lier Fellowships 2023 are now open. This one-year fellowship, administered on behalf of the Edward and Sally Van Lier Fund of the New York Community Trust, is awarded to two New York City-based artists, who are age 30 or younger (born in 1993 or after) and not currently enrolled in a degree-granting program nor have been a Van Lier Fellow in another organization.
The fellowship provides emerging artists from historically underrepresented communities with mentorship opportunities with the curatorial staff, artists, and arts professionals to prepare and promote their projects and to define career paths over the course of the program (January – December 2023).
The goal is to develop the skills and professional experience needed to establish a successful career in art. Fellows will participate in an 6-week Winter Workspace program (February 21 – April 2, 2023); create a solo show in the Sunroom Project Space (mid-August – late-September 2023); receive career mentoring and proposal development support; work with staff to observe artist selection process; and interact with the public through the Winter Workspace program and have an artist talk during the exhibition in the Sunroom Project Space.
- Each Van Lier Fellow receives a $10,435 stipend, which includes a $8,000 honorarium, studio rental reimbursement, transportation stipend for the residency, and professional development.
- Applicants must be emerging artists 30 years of age or younger (born 1993 or after);
- From historically underrepresented communities;
- Demonstrate financial need;
- Live in one of the 5 boroughs of New York City;
- Have completed college and are not enrolled in a degree-granting program in 2023;
- Demonstrate artistic and career potential;
- Are not represented by a commercial gallery;
- Available to participate in Winter Workspace and Sunroom Project Space;
- Cannot have been a Van Lier Fellow in another organization.
The application deadline is July 22, 2022. Late applications will not be considered.
For more information, visit Van Lier Fellowships.