Paid Internship at Vienna Center for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation (VCDNP)
Deadline: July 31, 2022
Applications are open for the Fall 2022 Internship at VCDNP. The Vienna Center for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation (VCDNP), an international non-governmental organisation based in Vienna, Austria, is looking for individuals who completed or are working toward a graduate degree, preferably in a related field, e.g. international relations, political science, chemistry, biology or engineering, and interest in nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament issues.
They looking for a new intern starting in September. If you are interested in nuclear nonproliferation & disarmament issues & are working towards a graduate degree, this is your chance!
The Center’s mission is to facilitate result-oriented dialogue among national governments, international organisations, and civil society on nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation and to conduct research, education and training programs on these issues. The VCDNP is managed by the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS) at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey in the United States of America.
The VCDNP invites applications for its Fall 2022 internship programme and strongly encourages applications from developing countries. The duration of the internship is up to six months. The VCDNP intends to have the internship take place in person in Vienna, Austria.
Interns will receive a 1000 Euro net payment monthly to offset living expenses as well as relocation expenses such as airfare or similar transportation costs (e.g. train) where applicable and as agreed with the VCDNP. In case of the remote internship, a smaller payment may be offered depending on the location of the intern.
Duties and Responsibilities
During her/his internship, the intern will:
- Develop and implement a research project on a nuclear non-proliferation or disarmament topic supervised by VCDNP researchers;
- Work alongside senior experts at the VCDNP on ongoing research projects;
- Contribute to programmatic activities at the VCDNP, including lectures, seminars, courses and conferences arranged by the VCDNP;
- Have the opportunity to interact with specialists from the IAEA, CTBTO and other international organisations in Vienna, as well as representatives from national governments and academia;
- Assist with administrative tasks and events;
- Perform other related duties as requested.
- The internship is open to advanced or recent graduated students from science and policy programmes. Applicants should be able to demonstrate their interest in non-proliferation and disarmament policy issues. The VCDNP encourages applications from developing countries and women.
- Strong writing skills and excellent command of the English language are required. Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office is required. Familiarity with virtual meeting software such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams and WebEx is desirable. Knowledge of online collaborative platforms (e.g. Microsoft Teams, GoogleDrive, OneDrive), graphic design and social media are pluses.
- The position requires light to moderate physical effort and the ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
The VCDNP maintains a smoke-free and drug-free workplace.
- The start date will be as agreed between the VCDNP and the successful candidate, ideally commencing on 15 September 2022.
- A valid authorisation to work or ability to obtain a visa for Austria is required.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply via the online application form.
- Please note that you will be asked to upload a writing sample (in English and no longer than five pages), a curriculum vitae and two letters of recommendation.
For more information, visit VCDNP.